Toronto shootings: Two men arrested in connection with terror attack

Image copyright Murdo Petrov

Two men have been identified by the Toronto Police in connection with the deadly shooting in the city.

Witnesses and police have said someone fired into a crowd, then a large number of others began to flee the scene.

A 25-year-old man was killed, along with 20-year-old Faisal Hussain, who had just finished the final year of a university business course.

Two women are also believed to have been killed by the gunfire, a police spokesman said.

He did not say what city the women were from.

In the wake of the attack, Mayor John Tory met with local officials at city hall.

“People should be able to go to the end of that street without thinking they are going to die,” he said at the time.

Toronto police said the unidentified man, 25, had visited the homicide division and told investigators he was the shooter.

He was arrested on 4 June after being chased by police, who believed he was armed with a gun.

Police found no gun in a car they initially thought belonged to the 25-year-old, but later recovered the weapon in the car after the suspect was arrested.

Drunken driving

Toronto police have also taken a man into custody following a police pursuit last Friday that resulted in the car he was driving crashing.

The 22-year-old man has been charged with impaired driving causing death, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and failing to remain at the scene of an accident.

Police said the man crashed into a light pole, but was able to flee the scene because the impact was apparently not severe enough.

Video courtesy of ABC

That incident happened in Scarborough, north of Toronto, and police said they were investigating whether alcohol could have played a role in that incident.

A total of 11 people were hurt, and police said two were seriously injured.

Those injured included a five-year-old boy, who was in critical condition. He is being treated at a hospital in Toronto.

A 36-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl were also seriously injured.

The investigation is ongoing.

Leave a Comment