New Brunswick: 95 new cases of dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning linked to generator use

Public health officials in New Brunswick have reported 95 new cases of a dangerous form of carbon monoxide exposure, the New Brunswick Health Authority said in a news release on Thursday.

The first three cases reported to public health officials in October and October of last year, linked to home generator use. With the new cases, that total has grown to 189, the New Brunswick Health Authority said.

Numerous other cases have been reported in New Brunswick’s surrounding areas, according to the CBC News.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced when fossil fuels are burned. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, memory loss, lethargy, nausea, vomiting, and confusion.

Health officials advised the public to never keep generators, or any other fuel-burning appliances, for more than three days outside or inside of any enclosed spaces, including homes, garages, attics, or basements. Electric generators should be hooked up only to a qualified electrician, and properly vented, Health Authority officials said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning deaths have also been reported in Nova Scotia.

Leave a Comment